Saturday, April 19, 2008

Marginal Poetry


I wrote this poem in the margins of my Borderlands, Refugees and Diaspora class.

I wore my tank top today
With pride I bore my freckle covered shoulders to the world and had no shame
The sun served as my sleeves
As the wind rushed over my suffocating neck
I wore my tank top today
With my bright orange bra showing through
As if to say to the world
I simply don't care what you think!
I greeted my fellow tank toped sisters and brothers with a knowing smile and a bounce in my step
Today I put my tank top away
Because my skin is crawling with memories a million showers will never wash clean
Because his searing hands have burned my skin in ways the sun never could
I put away my tank top today
Because the paths his fingers forced into my skin are filled with undeserved shame
Because the epidermis I once proudly presented to the world
Was not strong enough to protect itself against the diabolical hands of a perverted mind
I put away my tank top today
And wrapped myself in a strong hold of turtle necks to fight off even the slightest glance
I blended into the background
Because it was my fault for standing out
I silenced my voice
Because when I said "no" it didn't seem to matter
But tomorrow my tank top may again emerge
I will take back my tank top
For my turtle neck wearing brother and sisters
Who don't know how to wear their tank tops any more
Who hide in fear from bare shoulders and exposed skin
I will put my tank top on to let them know it never was, nor never will be their fault
In a world full of judgement
I will put my tank top on and take back my voice

Okay so i know this is starting off as a slightly more depressing post, but it was either this or talk about cancer (I went to Relay for Life last night) and I wanted to post this. Part of the reason I did was because other than school work and various social activities; I volunteer at our campuses Sexual Assault Center. I work with sexual assault survivors both at the hospital (for those who come in to get a "rape" kit done, which is now called a forensics kit for those who don't know) as well as through a help hotline. For obvious reasons this is not something I am going to be able to vent about on here a whole lot, but I wanted all three of you who read this on any sort of basis to know about how much this means to me.
So as not to leave you in a morose state; the drag show yesterday was fabulous! I must say that i think, other than musical theater, this is now my new favorite form of entertainment. Everyone should go to at least one drag show sometime in their lives. Sabin, the head drag queen, is amazing...nuff said. Going out to dinner with the rents in a few and then sending a bunch of crap back with them in attempts to make head way into the move out process. The room looks like a total pit right now, but what else is new in my life?

Hugs and Sunshine,
~The Singing Ginger

No comments: