Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Irish Pubs and Choir Music


Oh what a wonderful night! I know I have posted once already today but I figure I would again to make up for some sort lag I can see as only eminent in the near future (I tend to get bored with things sorta quick.) I had my first and last choir concert of the year tonight and other than the heinous shoes, uber girly clothing (I can occasionally feel like doing the fem thing, tonight was just not the night) and issuematic bra problem (I was wearing a bright green sports bra with an off the shoulder black top) everything went off without a hitch. It was actually really cool singing in a concert for the first time in such a long time. I forgot how much fun i have doing that. Flashback into the past time (plus a lil more background on lil ole me.)

I have been performing since age 8, which was the age that i did my first musical. Between that time and the time that I turned 18 I have worked on at least 20 different shows (both musical and non, but mostly musical.) Written three short plays that I've seen preformed on stage. Been a founding member of one of the most successful A Cappella groups in the state. Sung with one of the most successful choirs in the country. And have had numerous , what I like to call "little trained monkey" shows for my friends and family at various times when they feel in need of entertainment. I might sound really prideful right now, and probably even a little stuck up and arrogant but when it comes to my preforming career i have worked really hard and I don't have an issue telling people about it.
Here is where the much promised drama enters stage life. I figured since I loved to sing and preform so much that I might as well make it my career. I decided i would audition for musical theater programs around the country and become a star on Broadway. Don't get me wrong I am not delusional I knew it was a long shot and I knew it would take crap loads of work and time and effort and that when the sun went down I probably still wouldn't be were most dream to one day be. But I was going to try God damnit!
To make a horribly long story short I auditioned individually for 10 different schools. For those of you who are more shy of the spotlight this means getting dressed up for a music audition which usually includes three old looking people sitting in chairs behind a large and intimidatingly dressed table scrutinizing your every note as you try and warble out 16 bars of a ballad and 32 bars of an up tempo show piece. But at least you still have your dignity right...? WRONG! You change into dance clothing and are herded into a room with about 20 other people, like cattle, where you find that one of the old looking people is now standing in front of you. Dance audition, how bad can this be? She probably has an arthritic hip right...? WRONG! She can out step, out twirl, out tap and out kick you every day of the week dressed in jeans while singing your favorite musical's entire score an octave above where it was actually written. At least you don't have too much competition right...? WRONG! Each program I auditioned for took in no more than 20 people, this also means that half of those spots are going to be the incredibly flexible, incredibly gay guy that is out dancing himself next to you and making you look like an incompetent jackass. Each program auditions anywhere from 1,000-3,000 people a year which means that what you thought was your incredibly unique musical selection of "Where Ever He Ain't" from a little show called Mac and Mable has actually been heard by those old people behind the desk at least 20 times already, by people who parents could afford to send them to private voice lessons since they were in utero. They are probably skinnier than you are too...bitches.
So after all this I got wait listed at one school and rejected from all the others. Thus the end of my musical theater career. I guess that was all a long way of going about saying that i havent been on stage since I was in high school. It felt good to do it again, and it meant a lot to me.

After the show I went out with a couple of choir friends, for online paranoia purposes we will name them Roomie, Italian Stallion, Frat, Beans, Bike and Shags. We went to the pub and proceeded to talk about what all college students talk about...sex. It was fun and I got into quite the dramatic confrontation with Shags while using fake Irish vs. Scottish accents. I think I won but he might tell you different. The real learning experience of the evening was the discussion/ learning time that Shags, Bike, Beans and I had once everyone else had left. I won't go into details right now (for, lets be honest I have written quite enough for tonight) but suffice to say it has given me much to ponder over.

Until another day,
The Singing Ginger

No comments: