Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Sounding Board

So I have decided that this blog might have a few posts that are going to take on a slightly different direction. A week ago or so I posted about how I wanted to cut a record for the sake of recording what my voice sounds like now for my older self to enjoy. At the time it was just kind of a stray thought and something I wanted to put out there; now it is going to be a little more solid. After spending a fair amount of my life in the music realm I have acquired a lot of different friends, who know a lot of different things about music. I know guitar players, piano players, singers, artists, drum players, ukulele players, photographers, painters, and even a bagpipe player. These people have brightened my life and made it significantly more colorful than it would have been otherwise; and I want to remember them, just as much as I want to remember myself in the here and now. So, here is the dealio:

I, the Singing Ginger, will be recording and releasing an album slated to come out in about a year from now. I don't know what it is going to be called, I don't know what songs are going to be on it, I don't know how the hell I am going to scrape together the money for it, and I don't know if this is actually going to work...but damnit I am going to try! In order to do this I will be posting, on this blog, a type of sounding board deal, where I get to write out all my thoughts and anybody who happens to read this or stumble upon it can comment and give me advice. I don't care if I don't know you, I don't care if you know nothing about music, I don't care if you don't care; if you have a thought you should post it.

For my first sounding board secession I am going to start with the easiest of things: I need an album title. Some of you might be saying "well see where the music takes you and then name it." But, much like a baby, I don't want to raise this thing without giving it a name. Here are some ideas I have had thus far:

-"Range"
-"Roam"
-"A Record of Life Thus Far"
-"Shower Singing"
-"Singing Ginger"
-"Because I Can"
-"When I am 90"
-"Mine"
-"Kitchen Dancing"
-"Dreams and Sweet Nothings"
-"Sounding Board"
-"Damn All of These Titles Sound Cliche"
-"Why Can't I Think Up Any Good Titles?"

The last two are for sure the leaders of the pack right now ;) Actually now that I am seeing them in print I kind of like "Sounding Board" but I am far from settling on that. If you have any ideas, comment on this please.

The biggest problem I forsee happening in this little adventure would be the whole "money" thing. I will be spending about two months in europe this summer studying international politics and will probably end up having to sell all my worldly pocessions just to try and make things work with that. By the time I get back I plan on begging, borrowing and pleading my way into money for books and the like. Luckily, I am going to be living in a relativly cheap apartment and I am going to have a job. On top of this, if the whole plasma thing works out I will have another $320 coming in every month on top of my paycheck. Also on a luckier note, I have expereince being the business manager for a group that cut two records while I was with them, so I am not totally inexperienced in recording land. I am hoping that I can make this thing for about $1,000-$1,200 since I am not planning on having more than about 80 copies made; though if more people want to buy it (yes buy it, I am not giving this thing out for free even if I'm not doing it for profit reasons) than I can always make more copies.

So by-and-by that is all I have right now. But I will make sure to keep posting and let all you wonderful people out there in on what is happening.

~The Singing Ginger
p.s. if you want a tentative list of possible maybe songs, look two posts down and you can see what this might sound like.

3 comments:

tapswitch said...

Shotty Bass guitar for the record. I can also guitar it up too but i am probably more solid on bass

powderizedbookworm said...

No, it can't be "When I'm Ninety," it has to be "When I'm Ninety-Four" if you're going that route ;).

Scarecrowcp said...

I get it! (which always makes me happy) and I probably should put more Beatles on there :)