Sunday, December 14, 2008

Flaming Wine


God Jul!! (Merry Christmas in Swedish) Event though it wasn't Swedish Christmas yesterday (the 24th of Dec) there was more Swedishness crammed into our house yesterday than a Pippy Stocking marathon. December 14th is the official Saint Lucia Day for Swedes everywhere and it went off with some serious pyrotechnics. Me being the eldest daughter of the family I had the honor to play Lucia herself and I must say that it was quite the experience. Lucia was actually an Italian Saint who brought food to persecuted Christians; since she had to do this in the dark of night she had a wreath of candles on her head to light the way. Every year the daughters of families acorss Sweden bring food to the neighbors while wearing a wreath of candles on their heads. Yesterday my number was up and I got to dawn the amazing wreath of fir hazard.

I have to say it was actually quite a moving experience. My Farmour (Grandmother in Swedish) died when I was 5 and from what I hear she was quite a force to be reconed with. In place of her we had my Grandy who was her best friend. Grandy got choked up to say the least and all anyone could talk about was Aunt Inga. Though my Father and his Brother were calm and collected I think it got my Dad just a bit to see me in the white gown with the red sash and candles on my head. I wish I could have known my Farmour a bit more but I think she woud have been proud all the same that we carried on the tradition this year.

May your heart alight with Swedish tradition (but hopefuly not your house)
~The Singing Ginger

No comments: