Sunday, November 23, 2008

My Minority


So I grew up hearing that the place I lived was a little bubble of acceptance and love surrounded by miles and miles of reality. I assumed that this is more of a dramatic interpretation and that most people I would encounter would be mostly similar to me. I was raised to believe that all people should be equal no matter what differences they had to myself or to the "norm." I was taught that those who had different views than me should still be respected. I learned yesterday that this is not the norm, nor the majority nor what should be expected of people. Most people are not accepting, most people are not similar to myself or those I was raised with. Most people will have the views they hold now and will not change no matter what they are presented with. Most people won't even want to change. They see nothing wrong with beliefs that would deny people their own humanity or rights as citizens. I am a minority in ways I couldn't even image and it has made me realize that things are going to get tough from here on out; and that growing up in my bubble hasn't really prepared me for any of it.

Love and Peace,
~The Singing Ginger

No comments: