Monday, August 11, 2008

Olympic Amazingness

So this is sort of a half finished non edited post that I never got around to finishing but that I still want to post. I know there is no way in hell I will finish it since the Olympics is over but I still thought there might be a little nugget of knowledge int here somewhere. :)

~Singing Ginger

In my family there is a set of holidays always adhered to. There are the traditional high holy days of my Mother's Catholicism, there are the add on holy days of my Father's Greek and Swedish heritage, and there are those two weeks that role around every two years. The two weeks that bring my family and my country together in a way only primordial tradition could, the Winter and Summer Olympics. This particular holiday has amazing roots in our family. My Farmour (Swedish for Grandmother) rode the Olympic torch across Sweden on horseback and was part of a wonderful equestrian line. My father was on the national US luge team (the one where you lay on your back on a little tiny tray and go down the bob sled track hoping not to crash and die) and almost made it to the Olympics. Before the Athens games my father was awarded the honor of carrying the torch once again for his family and country when it came through the US. The torch proudly sits in our house as a constant reminder to strive to be our best in everything that we do and have appropriate pride for our accomplishments.

So my family is big on the whole Olympics thing. But here is the point on my whole Olympics thing. The wonderful thing about the Olympics in the globalized day in age where everyone still seems to be alone is that as much as it could be the world comes together to some extent during this brief period in time.

No comments: