Wednesday, June 24, 2009

My Squishy

Well, as per usual, my mother was right. As we closed out our final lecture in Turkey today it hasn't seem like a month has gone by, or even anything close to it. At the same time it feels like forever since I have seen any of you beautiful people. This country has been so wonderful to me, its people, its food, its culture and the very land itself. I love it here and when my professor chimes in with his occasional "this is your first trip to Turkey, not your last" I believe him with every fiber of my being. Tomorrow we are going to party it up in Taksim Square with last min shopping, a little bit of drinking, a fair well dinner...and a little bit of drinking. On friday Avery and I are going to catch the bus to Izmir. I will be staying in a hotel or hostel and then spending my Saturday making my way to Menemen the birthplace of my Great Grandmother. Avery will be heading on to Ephesus but then meet me back in Izmir on Sunday. Monday morning we are going to catch our ride back and have a last dinner in Istanbul before boarding our 5am flight (tuesday) to Brussels. I don't know what adventures will be waiting for me there, but if they are even half as good as the ones in Turkey the fact that I will be as broke as a hobo when I get back will absolutely be worth it.

We went to the Asian side of Istanbul today. On the Ferry Bilgehan pointed out dolphins swimming in the Bosporus out to sea. It was like Sea World...but real. We got off and then thought it might be nice to have a little hike up to see the old castle ruins. What the quaint little road signs did not inform us of was the fact that the castle was at the end of a mile and a half hike at what seemed to my thighs, calfs and butt to be a 90 degree angle. We made it up all the same and the view was awesome (the castle not so much, especially considering there was no information to speak of on what went on there, who it belonged to or if it was of any particular importance.) Went back down after having a Kasarli toast (Turkish grilled cheese) and a beer. Shopped around for a bit and regrouped with our professor who, in all his infinite wisdom, decided not to take the hike from hell. We found another restaurant and even though I had half a sandwich, figured I had to try a fish sandwich because we are on a body of water and I must have burned off something considering the pain I was in. Good plan on my part, the fish was amazing. Got back on the ferry after wards and I got to stare at the awesome groups of jellyfish that chill out in the water near the dock (if you don't get the title of this post go rent "Finding Nemo") Went back to the dorm, chatted with my momma, and am now going to bed.

More later, sweet dreams!
~Claire

No comments: