Thursday, June 4, 2009

Gusto

I have the feeling I am beginning to burn out with the whole update the blog every day. I knew this was going to happen so I am going to slow up a little bit. The group is taking the train to Antalya this weekend and I will not be taking my computer so maybe I will recharge and return with more gusto and whatnot.

So random ponderings of the trip since i don't feel like giving a breakdown of the day. Interestingly enough, as I mentioned in my last post, life here has become much more simple. Here I focus on studies and seeing the country and the rest of the time is spent trying not to spend money. My diet has drastically changed. At this point I am living on small strips of cheese, cucumber, bread and jam and if I get up early enough an egg for breakfast. Of course coffee is included with all meals. for lunch I am using up my power bars because we get about 30mins between lecture and class to eat and go to the bathroom and stretch our legs. Dinner is whatever I end up buying at whatever restaurant we end up at. This is going to change though because I bought a HUGE tub of yogurt (medi style, so sour tasting to americans who aren't sued to it) and a box of muesli. I "borrowed" a small spoon from the kitchen and mix these things with honey in a tea cup and will be using this for breakfast and dinner (since I need to slow up on spending.) Very simple. Even when we go out to eat, I figured out how to order a grilled cheese in Turkish and it tends to be a lot cheaper than anything else. Not to mention the cheese is awesome. Don't get me wrong I have been enjoying slightly more traditional meals as well but I can't do that everyday or I will have no money by the time I get to Belgium.

I would just like to emphasize how much I love hearing the call to prayer a couple times each day. It is beautiful and anyone who has anything to say against Islam should sit in a mosque and listen to it for a moment. Why is it that I was born into one of the only major "old" religions that doesn't have a service that is mostly in song??? I have been to a Jewish service and I know enough about a Muslim service to know that both of these have sung prayer. I am all over the Latin and whatnot but Catholics have pretty much done away with chanting at this point. Bad plan in my opinion.

Going to Antalya this weekend and then have plans to get to Izmir on the four days we have between Ankara and Istanbul. So the 13th and the 14th and leave on the 15th. Before this we are going to be going to a smaller town outside of Izmir (can't remember the name right now I will post it later.) All fo these places have really awesome history of Turkey and I am looking forward to going to some museums and learning what I can about ancient Mesopotamia. Mr. Benedict would be proud. :) Okay, bored now, going to go do something. :) Hope this finds you all well.

~Claire

No comments: